Sunday, November 30, 2008

London!

Got "permission". Bought flights. Gave the school a note. Packed. Said my goodbyes.
Car, train, walk, bus, plane, train, train, walk... and there I was at Dominique and Andrew's house in Fulham, London. It was so easy, and I was so excited. I drank a cappucino with real milk in it. Met Oliver, Ben and Nanny Iris. Lovely people. Andrew and I watched Four Weddings and a Funeral after eating steak sandwiches... it was such a nice change, I was rather ecstatic with the beginning of my voyage to London. Everything was British and novel.

Day two saw a trip to a park with the boys, where bikes were ridden, deer seen and ice cream eaten. That night I went into town with Dominique on a red bus, saw christmas lights and Piccadilly Circus, enjoyed a nice glass of wine and did a bit of shopping. I was shocked to see that it gets dark at 4.30 up there! Still, I suppose it gives you more night time to see the Christmas lights.

Sunday we enjoyed a roast with yorkshire pudding in a pub. I spent my week exploring London. Went to the Natural History Museum with Ben and Dom to see the dinosaurs, and also saw some exhibitions about things like volcanoes. I took myself to the Tate Modern, St Paul's, Buckingham Palace... touristy things like that. I probably didn't take enough photos, but I'm always too lazy to take photos of things I know a million other tourists have already captured from exactly the same mediocre angle.

Thursday I saw Claire, the cousin of the Faures where I was staying before. That was sympa, we went to the Camden markets where I bought some sunglasses that don't actually protect from the sun, but look pretty cool in photos. We ate lunch in a Japanese restaurant and later strawberries on sticks dipped in chocolate. Yeah hardcore.

For my last day we took a ride on the Thames, then rode the London Eye. The weather was a tiny bit FREEZING but lovely and clear, we had fantastic views. We then ate pizza and all was well.

My stay in London made me want to go back there. I didn't even do all the touristy things, kind of passed Trafalgar Square by, but still found the city great. En plus I was with fabulous people, nicest hosts ever. Was such a change from the life I have here in France, and in Australia of course. London is pretty awesome, and I will be going back.

Here are just a few photos, there are many more on Facebook!!






1 comment:

E said...

I looked at your facebook photos, and they made me want to go to London. I didn't want to before. Someday.